Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ahhh Kauai~~





I guess I should talk a bit about Kauai, it seems it is all I have been talking about lately, but there were some learning moments to mention :)

Learning moment # 1- We went to a very sweet lei making class on the west side of Kauai. About a 45 minute drive from where where we were staying, so it seemed a bit of a hassle when we were getting ready in the morning, especially with the beach calling us, but my husband was determined to get us there~there were a few thrift shops in it for him......
When we got there, I walked into the museum to see a table full of tropical flowers waiting for us. The scent was intoxicating. The lady welcomed us, and we got started right away. Sophia and I were the only ones in the class! I wish I could remember the names of the flowers. Anyway, she was so sweet, and after talking for a while about all the tropical fruits on the island, she got into her car, and drove down the road to a friends house to pick me some fruits she wanted me to try~I could not believe it! We had a great time~~well worth it to see the beautiful leis that Sophia made for her and her dad. I made one for me and Lucy.

Learning moment # 2- Snorkeling~magical fun under the sea. This is science right??? We saw amazing & colorful fish, and creatures. She saw sea stars, urchins, and an eel. I think it really gave her a taste for the undersea world. She wanted to do it everyday. Me too! After our beach adventures, we looked up the kinds of fish we saw.
I am sure there were many more learning moments that i have not mentioned, especially the one when we woke up to an unidentified sea creature on the floor in our house......

This week we did a lot of catching up after Kauai. It feels pretty good getting back into the swing of things. We began the week learning a bit about St. Martin on his special day. We made lanterns in honor of the occasion, and it was a lot fun, we have kept on doing it all week, even Lucy has been into it. I can tell things are about to get crafty around here for the holidays.

We had a field trip this week with the local homeschool group to a fabulous local bakery. A superb field trip. Especially the warm focaccia samples at the end.

No comments: